Gnome Apps Dumps with Signal 6 - What is Signal 6?

I just managed to get Gnome compiled from the latest ports tree and it seems
to have mysteriously lost it's slow start problem (I was never using
GDM/XDM, by the way - it was just happening with any Gnome-based program,
including Electric Eyes).  However, it's doing a lot of core dumps with
signal 6.

Can someone tell me what a signal 6 is?  Is it memory-related?

Thanks
Rnd.
---
{ in fact, this is twice in a row
{ that the angels have slipped through our landslide
{ and filled up our garden with snow