Re: Strange behavior when launching apps

On Thu, Apr 29, 1999 at 12:27:33AM -0400, Tim wrote:
> GNOME accesses the Internet (ppp0) whenever I start a program.  Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but it can be a huge problem when downloading a large file, as the program won't start until GNOME has finished with whatever it's connecting to.  I assume that this is probably by design, GNOME is doing a DNS lookup on the hostname perhaps?  Well, I'd appreciate knowing what is going on, and if there's something I can do to prevent this.  I have a dynamic IP so it's more complicated then just adding my hostname to /etc/hosts, but I could always put a script in ip-up to add it, or run a caching nameserver, if it is a DNS lookup that is happening.

(Please! Don't write lines longer than 72 characters or many people
will not even bother to read your message since they would have to
scroll horizontally.)

No, it's not more complicated than just adding a hostname to /etc/hosts.
Just choose one hostname for your machine (say localhost) and put a line

127.0.0.1	localhost

in your /etc/hosts.

Ronald