Sound on Solaris in E and Gnome - nearly working =OZ HELP!

Hiya,

OK, I fetched the latest audiofile and installed it, and suddenly esd works =O)

Well - sort of =O(

With enlightenment, if I don't set the -tcp option to esd, E crashes
immediately.  With the -tcp arguement to esd, it's just unstable.  That is, if
E's sound is switched on at startup, it crashes with a SIGPIPE just after
Eterm).  Why it doesn't seem to load/play/crash on the startup sound is beyond
me.  If you switch it on once running, you get sounds half the time, but after a
while it just crashes anyway.

So not very stable.  I don't know if this is down to changes made to use Unix
pipes or not, as it never worked before.  But after those changes went in was
when I had to ensure sound was off or E would hang on my first click within it.
Is it possible E isn't sure whether it's using TCP or Pipes, and uses pipes
anyway, despite having esd -tcp?  I seem to remember pipes are fairly different
between Unixen, and I think that's the root of this problem?  Does the code in E
ensure that only TCP is used when esd is in that mode?

With Gnome, I get the sounds sometimes (10%), and the rest I get:

	Gnome-WARNING **: error caching sample <-1>!

and this isn't totally reproducable by sound file - more by which order I try to
play them in =OZ

Again, this is on Solaris (7 and 8 tested so far) and SPARC.

I've recompiled gnome-libs-1.0.9 and gnome-core-1.0.5 against the new audiofile
library/includes, with no effect.  I can't get the latest CVS Enlightenment, as
jimpick's site is acting up again and I'm behind a firewall.

What really points to the problem *not* being in esd is that esdplay works fine
on all the samples these programs are trying to load.  It's only enlightenment
and gnome (panel and the sound capplett) that are having problems =O(

Any ideas people?

Thanks,

-------My opinion - Not sane, intelligent or necessarily useful-------
o o                                      mailto:Moredhel@earthling.net
/v\ark R. Bowyer.  http://i.am/Moredhel  mailto:Mark.Bowyer@UK.Sun.COM
`-'  "That weenie's avoiding me!" - Scott McNealy about i.am/BillZebub