Panel taking focus

Is there anyway I can stop the panel taking focus?  For example, if I
change workspace using the gnome pager, I want to end up on the workspace
with one of my windows focused, and not the panel.  In fact, I never want
the panel to be focused (like the Dock in Window Maker).

Is there a hint that the panel does/could set to indicate this.  Looking
at
	http://www.gnome.org/devel/gnomewm/c44.html
this documents for _WIN_HINTS:

#define WIN_HINTS_SKIP_FOCUS      (1<<0) /*"alt-tab" skips this win*/
#define WIN_HINTS_SKIP_WINLIST    (1<<1) /*do not show in window list*/
#define WIN_HINTS_SKIP_TASKBAR    (1<<2) /*do not show on taskbar*/
#define WIN_HINTS_GROUP_TRANSIENT (1<<3) /*Reserved - definition is
                                           unclear*/
#define WIN_HINTS_FOCUS_ON_CLICK  (1<<4) /*app only accepts focus if
                                           clicked*/

I'm not quite sure what the last one implies - does it mean that it
doesn't get focused under focus-follows-mouse, rather than
click-to-focus?

Using xprop gives the panel _WIN_HINTS = 39.  Which is:

	SKIP_FOCUS | SKIP_WINLIST | SKIP_TASKBAR | 32

Can anyone tell me what the 32 is?

cheers,

Paul