gnome-mdi and signals..

I'm writing an MDI app and I'm a little confused on how signals work with it.
For instance, say each view has a flag in it noting whether or not changes
have been made.   What I want to do is catch the delete_event signal for
the GnomeApp that the view is currently contained in so that I can pop up
a dialog asking if changes should be saved if any of the children in that
particular GnomeApp have been modified.  What I don't understand is how the
GnomeMDI object knows when one of its children has been deleted..?

me