Re: Gnumeric and Printing

> It is great to hear that plotting is close on Gnumeric!  There are two
> things that are keeping me working in Excel: Gnumeric can't do charts; and
> it can't print.

> I'm NOT saying "hurry up", but do you have any idea when Gnumeric will be
>able to print?  Does it depend on the Gnome-wide printing system?  Apologies

The current version of Gnumeric on CVS on the GNUMERIC_PRINT branch does printing.
There are a number of reasons why printing is not finished nor merged into the
main trunk:

	1. I am not entirely satisfied with the way I am dealing with fonts
           in the code (currently, I scale the font when the zoom factor
 	   changes, I think I need a pointer to a per-view font).

	2. It makes many fundamental changes to the internals of Gnumeric.
	   There are still some rough spots on the printing version that I want
	   to address before merging into HEAD.

	   For example, margins are still computed in pixels instead of points.
	   I need to fix this on the printing branch.

	3. Currently it prints upside down :-)

	4. I was integrating libglade into Gnumeric, because there is no way
	   I was going to type all those dialog boxes myself.

	   I am the most lazy gui coder you have ever seen.

	   Now that libglade is part of Gnumeric, I can code those dialog boxes.

best wishes,
Miguel.