Re: Window managers

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, alexander volovics wrote:
> On 27-Apr-99 Preben Randhol wrote:

> I don't really understand all the bellyaching about Enlightenment.
> When you have installed GNOME and use the GNOME panel and gmc and
> gnome-config, i.e. you work full time with GNOME, you do not even see
> or notice Enlightenment anymore.
> It works quietly and practically unnoticed in the background
> (assuming E and the GNOME-E interaction is bug free) 'managing windows'.
> You could even configure E so that the middle mouse button pop-up menu
> is not active.
> If you use GNOME I expect you mostly will not want a 'visible' window-
> manager any more, GNOME has it all.

I agree with what you are saying.  A window manager has less to do on a
gnome desktop.  But if you want a minimalist desktop, twm is what I'd use,
rather than leave 90% of E's horrendous bloat unused.  I don't need a
themeable window manager if I'm never going to see it.

> The only complaints I find relevant about E is if you already have a
> window-manager running and do not want to download the extra files or
> if you think E is not stable or uses too much memory.

Both.

> I can't understand why anybody would want any extra window-manager
> panels, icons, etc. next to GNOME because they do not contribute to the
> aesthetics or functionality of GNOME unless you put a lot of extra work
> into 'themes' to unify the mix.

I don't particularly want docks & clips n stuff.  My ideal would be Window
Maker (because of its speed and usability) minus dock clip and appicons
(I know this can be done already) and with any transient dialogs and
window menus done in GTK so that I have a single, unified look feel and
theme across my desktop.

Paul