Re: Window managers

>> | RedHat has chosen to do it this way, to make sure that the user always
>> | have at least one gnome-compliant window manager. There has been variuos
>> This must be one of the more lame excuses I have heard in a long
>> time. To me it looks more like one is trying to push Enligthenment. I
>I don't think that's the reason. Just think of a newbie, he installs the
>rpms, and no gnome-compliant wm. Some things don't work properly, like the
>pager. Since he has no clue about windowmanagers and X etc, he won't
>understand a thing. If the installation forces him to install E, he can
>start gnome and get to know the environment. When he understands more, he
>can change the wm to something else, icewm or windowmaker etc.

E should provide gnome-wm virtual package. Any Gnome-aware WM should do
that, so no user is forced to have installed things that do not use. Newbie
will get E installed without any additional message. And those who knows a
bit will not need to use force or nodeps ("breaking" RPM database), you see
gnome-wm, you know that you must have a wm that does that (another thing for
FAQ), you make sure you have one.

And not thanks, the "HD is cheap" excuse is not valid. I have heard too many
"something is cheap" excuses, and the real solution was not following the
speaker recommendations and buying but changing the approaching (change OS,
change distro, never buy... sometimes you can not buy, cos there is no money
or because there is no parts to buy, nor even second hand).

GSR