[Announce] Gnome packages for Slackware

Greetings,

        I have compiled a set of packages of the Gnome 1.0 sources +
Enlightenment.  They are available at
ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/gnome-1.0/slackware/ and all of the Gnome
mirror sites soon.  While this is the second release of the packages, I
can't imagine that all the bugs are worked out and I appreciate any
suggestions/reports poeple care to send.

        Read the README, this should go without saying.

        These packages were built on Slackware 4.0beta2.  Users who have
installed 4.0beta1 should have no problem running it provided you update
the following packages located at
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/linux/slackware-current/

                d1/gettext.tgz  (for Shared libintl)
                xap1/gimp.tgz  (Glib/GTK+ 1.2.2 compiled with nls
support)

I have received a few reports from people using Slackware 3.6 and
getting these packages to work, however non of them provided detailed
instructions on which packages need to be upgraded from the
slackware-current tree.  Anybody who does a fresh 3.6 install and would
like to determine a set of upgrades necessary to run Gnome, I would
appreciate the information to include in the README file.

        Debugging symbols were stripped from libraries, as were all
symbols
from binaries.  This was done to decrease package size for the
modulating/demodulating folks out there.  The packages are still larger
than the RPM versions because they are not broken up into
base,devel,etc... If there is a great interest in this I will consider
it but since the majority of slackware users are used to compiling stuff
themselves, I saw no reason to split the files up.

        Thanks to Patrick Volkerding for a consistently great
distrobution (no
libc5 comments from the rat pack), Miguel de Icaza and the entire gnome
team for this great software, and everyone who sent in reports from the
first release of the packages.

Enjoy,

-Brian
--
|         Brian M Dial           |\   |  Rummel, Klepper & Kahl, LLP |\
|  UNIX Systems Administrator    | |  |      Consulting Engineers    | |
|     bdial@rkkengineers.com     | |  |  http://www.rkkengineers.com | |
|   brian@rasputin.linuxos.net   |====|______________________________| |
|         Whois: BD8066          | |
|  ring ring: 410.728.2900 x1329 | |