Gnome-session behind the scenes

 I'm trying to adapt a non-GTK app to use Gnome session management, and I was
wondering if it's possible to communicate with gnome-session other than
through GTK. The gnome-hello examples use gtk_signal_connect. Is this a
wrapper around Xlib calls? I know there's been some talk on this list recently
about how crap Xlib is compared to GTK, but this app is already written in
Xlib so no lectures please. :)
 This also raises a serious issue: is Gnome inextricably tied to GTK?
Obviously it makes sense for Gnome apps to share the same toolkit, for reasons
of consistency and shared memory, but it should be possible to write
Gnome-compliant apps without being forced to include GTK... shouldn't it?
 Slap me if I'm out of line. :)

 - Michael Rogers