gnome starts up slow - session problems

Hello you!

Lately I got serious problems with gnome. I´m logging into my machine via
gdm. Then gnome-session is called in .xinitrc. In the past everything
worked fine: The panel started, the correct background is set and so on.
But now it takes a long time for the panel to startup. Very often the
panel also forgets it´s applets which I started last time, I only get
standard buttons. At the same time gmc shows up with a window and not only
with the icons on my desktop.

There have to be some problems with the session-manager. Because on thing
is very interesting: If I start any gnome-compilant and session-aware
program out of the console it works, but I always get some kind of this
output at startup:

GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 authentication rejected.

Whats even more weird is that I cannot startup the "Startup
Programs"-capplet within the Control Center, whenever I click on it, I get
the following output on stderr:

GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 authentication rejected.

** CRITICAL **: file gsm-protocol.c: line 602 (gsm_protocol_new):
assertion `GNOME_CLIENT_CONNECTED (gnome_client)' failed.

** WARNING **: Could not connect to gnome-session.

My system is:

Linux Kernel 2.2.6 / glibc 2.0.7
gtk+/glib 1.2.2
gnome-libs 1.0.8
gnome-core 1.0.5
gdm 1.0.0

By the way I alreay tried to delete ever gnome stuff (rm -r ~/.gnome*).
This solved this problem for other users - but not for me.

Maybe somebody has some advice.

Thanks in adavance,

Sebastian Weber