E not finishing startup.

I'm using RedHat 5.1 and I downloaded the newest RPMs for gnome, which
includes enlightenment v.15.  Everything installed with no problem, but
when I startx with enlightenment as the WM, the E startup screen comes up
but then I get a weird grey screen with a mouse pointer.  I can change
themes and the startup screen changes, but I can't get an actual working E
to come up.  I've searched list archives, etc. but I apparently this is
just something I'm doing wrong.  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks all

--Neil