gtk/gdk errors: can/t create window, etc...RH 5.2

Hi there

Okay...When I run gnome, it runs REALLY slow (gnome-linuxconf tales
~20-30 seconds to redraw its buttons,the rest is not that bad)
When I exit X I'll see a bunch of messages like:

-	gtk error : can't create window #365665, etc...
-	gdk warning...
-	gtk error this and that

(sorry I don't have the actual message, but there were a whole bunch.)
Now I even did a complete "everything" install of Redhat 5.2 with the
very latest files found in gnome 1.0 RPMs (all, and every one)  I
followed all the redhat gnome install instructions to the tee.  Also
gnome has problems coming on after the 1st time.  I usuall have to
reboot to get it. (just enlightenment comes up, with no windows)
SDomething else that may be related.  I hear there is a menu in
enlightenment but I don't have one (except the window ops)  and the
icons that were part of Shiny Metal Theme were there in Enl 0.14
before I messed with all of this. Now there all gone bye bye..
I'm thinking its some kind of variable/path i need to set but what?

Please help support the gnomeless...

Sebastian