Re: Panel Idea

> > The panel right now looks very nice, however, I just
> > had a feature idea. Why not allow one to look at their
> > netscape bookmarks as a panel menu? I would code this
> > myself, but I haven't looked at the panel source code
> > before. Does anyone know how this could be done?
>
> I'm not very familiar with the panel code, but maybe you could take a
> look at the code that brings the different menues we already have. The
> panel can show menues from Gnome, RedHat and KDE. Maybe you could add
> bookmarks in a similar way?

I no nothing about GNOME source either, but I put a Netscape icon on my
panel as I'm sure everyone one does.  Similar to how drawers pop out out of
the panel, or more precisely, when using netscape how the history pops down
from the back button if you hold it long enough.  I think being able to get
netscape bookmarks by holding on my netscape icon would be real nice.  The
last comment is still valid though, maybe this bookmark menu could be
generated in a similar way.  Better yet, don't make it a bookmark specific
applet.  Make it something more general that somehow could be used as a
recently opened file menu that pops up for my Nedit icon, or favorite irc
channels for Xchat.  Icons that could do such a thing would need to be
standardized to have an arrow or something on them so users know that its
capable of doing so.

After looking at it some more.  The main GNOME menu, minus the submenus, is
just about the ticket.  How about a single click on the panel icon starts a
program, and holding the button on the icon drops out the bookmarks,
recently used files, favorite irc channels, or whatever?  The GNOME main
menu just about does this except the single click thing.

Ryan