Problems with scrollbar 'bouncing' when viewing files

When viewing large files with default viewer, the scrollbar 'bounces'
off the bottom, not allowing a view of the end of the file. I have to
stretch the window to the bottom of the pane to see the end of the
file. This is especially troublesome in 800x600 mode. The window has
to be stretched into the lower panel. When I return to view the
original, all the header info has blanked. If I then resize, I am back
to where I started.  I have taken to using an editor to view properly.

RH5.2(2.0.36) Gnome1.0(Apr14) -