Re: Gnome/Enlightment question

On Wed, Apr 21, 1999 at 11:30:46AM +0200, Markus Wollgarten was heard to say:
> Dear Gnome-List,
>
> I installed gnome and enlightment (both 1.0.x) on my PC running the Debian
> distribution. Now I see, that several functions, like the menus, are available
> both from Gnome and Enlightment. Why? Probably this is a rather stupid
> question, but don't blame me. I'm just wondering whether these doubled features
> will take resources. Why is here not a single manager which does all, or two
> managers which clearly divide their duties?

  I believe that the reason is that Enlightenment is supposed to be useful
without Gnome; hence the massive duplication of features between it and Gnome.
(pagers..menus..now widget sets, configuration dialogs, IPC, HTTP, ... )

  It would be nice if there were a way for E to detect Gnome's presence and
deal better with that situation--for example, merging the 'Gnome Apps' menu
into the root menu--and I suspect it'll happen eventually, it just hasn't yet.

> p.s.: Is there an easy way to move the menus from icewm to the
> Gnome/Enlightment menus?

  Yes--install the Debian packages for Gnome and you'll get a menu-method for
Gnome/E.  Umm..aside from that..you may be able to get the menu-method and
menufiles by themselves somehow and install them..but you'd probably have to
tweak them to deal with whatever install prefix you used for Gnome.  The Debian
packages are reasonably up to date, you may want to just use them unless you
really need to compile from source. (I'm assuming you didn't install them since
if you had, the menus would have shown up right)

(the apt sourcelines are:
deb http://www.debian.org/~jim/debian-gtk-gnome/gnome-stage-slink unstable main
deb http://www.debian.org/~jules/gnome-stage-2 unstable main

 where the first one is for Slink systems and the second is for Potato)

  Daniel

--
  Moths and flame.
  The glory blinds them.