[gnome-list] gnome vs. network

I updated to all the latest Red Hat RPMs over the weekend, and I see two
problems:

1) GNOME now complains if I'm not already dialed up when I log in.  I
can't afford to stay dialed up all the time; I dial up *after* I log in,
and hang up before I log out (if not sooner).

2) The Netscape newsreader can't seem to find my news server anymore.
(It's only circumstantial that the GNOME update affected this, but the
problem did start after I applied the updates, and I haven't changed
anything else on the system.)

Oddly enough, I can still get to my newshost by running WinVN under
WINE.  But Netscape complains that it can't find a DNS entry for it,
even after I get dialed up.  Is gnome-name-server somehow competing with
Netscape's (dns helper) ?  The problem with this theory is that
everything else about Netscape seems to work OK.

Vitals:

Red Hat 5.2, patched to 2.0.36
Netscape 4.08
GNOME "1.0" as available on the ftp.gnome.org mirrors as of the weekend.

Thanks for any feedback,

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas