Gnome style guide

 I was idling away a few years at work browsing the web when I came
across the following tips in the Gnome application style guide:

"All operations that do not have a deterministic time to completion
should indicate progress using a dialog that contains either an
animated icon or changing number to indicate progress."

 I remember that when I first saw the unnecessary animations in
Windows 95 they annoyed the hell out of me. All these animations do
is inform the user that the computer hasn't crashed yet. Instead, why
not have the application inform the user if everything is *not* going
according to plan, and otherwise keep working unobtrusively and with
the minimum of fluff.

"The default highlighted button for a dialog should be the safest for
the user."

 In most cases the safest option will be "Cancel". How about making
the default button the one which is most convenient for the user - in
most cases "OK". This avoids having to switch from keyboard to mouse
to select the OK button, or alternatively having to Tab/Alt-Tab
around the dialog until you stumble across the "OK" button.

 The Escape key will be bound to "Cancel" anyway, so why have the
Enter key effectively bound to it as well? I understand that you
don't want people who are in a hurry to make dangerous mistakes, but
forcing them to work more slowly is just going to piss them off. I
think this point has already been raised with regard to gmc's dialogs.

 My last complaint is that some of the stock icons that ship with
Gnome aren't really suitable for use as menu mini-icons. For example,
the icon which is supposed to represent a menu tree is unrecognisable
in miniature format. Ditto the control panel icon. The daisy icon is
nice at full size but looks like a fried egg when it's miniaturised.
I'm sure this is partly down to my 15" display, but I also feel more
effort has gone into making the icons pretty than making them useful.

 Love that tiger though.

 - Michael Rogers