Re: gnome and handicapped access..

Something like this would be great, and it's been discussed on the mailing
lists in the past. It's probably a very low priority, and with good
reason. For one thing, there aren't any good and free speech recognition
programs that GNOME could use. Development of such software requires very
detailed and specific knowledge that most people don't have experience in,
so it's unlikely that anyone will be able to write a custom speech
recognition system for GNOME. The generic plugin approach is the only
feasible option, but there's really no point in this right now: there are
no good speech recognition programs for unix at all right now, and it
would be pointless to create a plugin API for a set of applications that
don't exist yet. Maybe if someone can coerce IBM to port VoiceType to
Linux or to open source it. =)

Cody