Re: Wheel mouse in gnome

On Mon, Apr 19, 1999 at 07:18:15PM -0700, Spud was heard to say:
>     This may or may not be related to gnome, but I would appreciate some
> feedback. I have a Logitech Mouseman with a wheel, and all the buttons work
> fine. I set up my /etc/XF86Config file to use the wheel (with ZAxisMapping 4
> 5), but the wheel only works partially. It will work fine in an Eterm, and
> the 'open' dialog boxes. But with gEdit and Netscape (among others) it won't
> work in the main application. Like, if I open a file, the wheel will scroll
> down the directory listing, but when the file is loaded, moving the wheel
> does absolutely nothing. Same thing in netscape.

  This is an issue with [GTK+|Motif|Qt|XForms|Athena|FooWidget].  There are
different kludges for each one--I think one or two may do wheeling natively
(not GTK+ as far as I know -- I think there was a hack at some point that
changed mouse wheeling into arrow buttons but that isn't general--perhaps this
is what you were seeing and it explains why the wheel works in the file
selector?).  Some things like Xterm can have this set using X resources,
Netscape needs (if I remember correctly) X resources that are actually
JavaScript, Xemacs requires an elisp module, .... [ the list goes on ].  There's
a page somewhere that collects all the various kludges, patches, hacks, and
fixes needed to get a bunch of programs using the mouse correctly.  Unforunately
I lost the URL. :-)  I think I may have gotten there from the LDP?  Look around
in the various Web-based repositories of stuff for a reference to it..I think
it was called the 'X mouse wheel support page' or some things..

  (btw, I don't have a wheeled mouse..I got the above information to set up
   another computer with one..but using Xemacs with a wheeled mouse almost
   convinced me to go out and buy one!  It's incredible.  You have to try it
   yourself. :-) )

  Daniel

--
  If you take the long view, the universe is just something small and round,
rather like those snow globes one sees around Christmas time, although unless

  -- Terry Pratchett, _Good Omens_