Re: Suggestion on how to resolve the 'logout problem' (Was Re: Why 'the logout problem' is a GNOME problem, not a WM problem)

--- "Jesse D . Sightler" <jsight@mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 1999 14:41:09 James Ramsey wrote:
> > The 'logout problem' that I've harped upon is
> this:
> >
> > If one attempts to log out using the root menu of
> the window manager,
> > it only exits the window manager. If one
> subsequently logs out of GNOME
> > using the panel (perhaps under the mistaken
> presumption that the Logout
> > root menu item didn't 'do anything') and then
> later logs back in, GNOME
> > will start--with no window manager. A rather
> disorienting experience,
> > especially if one doesn't know why it happened.
> >
> > I have a suggested solution. It's not ideal, and
> it's somewhat of a
> > compromise.
> >
> > 1) Change the GNOME compliance spec so that a
> compliant window manager
> > uses the session manager in logging out rather
> than simply terminating.
> > That should allow GNOME to logout properly even if
> the user uses the
> > root menu to logout, provided a compliant window
> manager is used.
> >
> > [Note: I do not know precisely how the window
> manager would use the
> > session manager to terminate itself. I am more or
> less echoing Mr. de
> > Icaza's response to my bug report about the
> 'logout problem'. (I
> > thought it was a bug when I first encountered
> it.)]
>
> This is already there, AFAIK.

Are you sure? I thought Raster wrote the GNOME-compliance spec himself.
Could you point me to a URL?

If it is there then at least half the problem is solved.

> > 2) Modify gnome-session so that if invoked
> something like this,
> >
> > gnome-session --use-non-GNOME-compliant-WM='FooWM
> \ --some-args blah
> > blah blah'
> >
> > then GNOME will execute a shell script something
> like this:
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > some-command-to-disable-wm-properties-capplet &
> >
> > panel --no-logout &
> >
> > FooWM --some-args blah blah blah
>
> Er, don't you realize how convoluted this is?  Don't
> you think that if the user
> were bright enough to do all of this, that he
> probably could figure it out the way
> it is now?  This seems much more complex, in my
> opinion.

I think you misread slightly. The user doesn't write the script that I
mentioned. The idea is that that the script would come with GNOME
(likely with some shell variable or something in place of 'FooWM
--some-args . . .'). The user wouldn't even have to even see the
script. All the user would have to do is to add the item

gnome-session --use-non-GNOME-compliant-WM='name-of-WM'

to the .xinitrc/.Xclients file. gnome-session would then execute the
script. That's not much more convoluted than putting 'gnome-session'
into the .xinitrc/.Xclients file, which is part of the installation
instructions for GNOME.
===

----I am a fool for Christ. Mostly I am a fool.----