Gnome Mail client - message storage facilties and header writing

[ moved from gnome-announce-list
  could we have a rule to only use the list for announcements
  and set reply-to to gnome-list (automatically?) please ! ]

In message <3719EDE3.C1C2983F@switchboard.net>, Matthew R. Briggs
<mbriggs@switchboard.net> writes
> > A couple of other points about what an ideal mail system would do:
>
>If I might also make a suggestion, the single feature that I miss the
>most from Linux mail clients (and Windows, for that matter) is the
>ability to have different identites, so one can send and receive mail
>using two (or more) e-mail addresses, signatures, etc.          Pine 4.10 has
>"roles," but these only take effect when you are replying to or
>forwarding messages, not composing.  Netscape 4.5 will let you sign up
>for multiple IMAP accounts, but your "identity" remains constant.
>       All this means it is very difficult to keep my work and personal e-mail
>separate, and still read them on the same machine without resorting to
>different usernames, etc.  What do you all think?

Quite agree. My current Windows mailer, Turnpike (www.turnpike.com or
co.uk) is supplied to Demon customers free of charge. It permits you to
use the same sub-domain (cyberstorm.demon.co.uk) for many users (gnome@,
jg@, etc), each is an individual e-mail alias in a list and in the
Turnpike window I can right-click any blank area of screen and select
New Mailbox, then select the rules for filling in this mailbox, normally
'mail is addressed to' then pull down a list of e-mail aliases. This is
how gnome@ mail and jg@ mail and postmaster@... all get into their own
little icons; double-click the icon and a list of mail is presented.

The important thing to notice is that by clicking on a mailbox and then
clicking the 'start new mail' icon on toolbar will begin a normal
message but the from: header is specific to the e-mail alias, hence I
can write from any name@cyberstorm.dcu.

This system is perfect on Windows as it my machine happens to be a me-
only machine. On unix I'd have to login via terminal and bring up pine
from that user. This latter method is rather less than satisfactory for
my one-person, multi-e-mail-alias setup.

If the new client could connect via smtp or pop3 and download all
cyberstorm mail from demon, then arrange them into multiple mailboxes as
per turnpike with the from: header being relevant to the mailbox's e-
mail alias id, then many of my problems would be solved.

In fact, if I were to use this new app to d/l mail, it would most
certainly be an absolute requirement.

Any ideas for a name? Balsa? Hardly obvious. How about gMail?
--
James Green