Re: Writing a GNOME mail client.

On Sun, Apr 18, 1999 at 10:22:03AM -0700, bob@kehs.ksd.org wrote:
> Exchange has the ability to export to both imap and pop. Lets not
> implament mapi suport and just use open standards like imap and pop...
> exchange will be useable if it is configured to be open and standard

I'm talking about corporate mailservers that have been set up to
offer some twisted version of IMAP. Maybe Exchange can also export
regular IMAP, but that's not of much help for the common employee.

Or am I missing something here...

I've been trying to find out why I couldn't get netscape to read my mail
at work. Telnetting into port 143 and following a specification of the
IMAP protocol I got stuck at the point where I had to authenticate
myself.. the AUTHENTICATE command needs to specify a protocol, for
example KERBEROS_V4, but I could find nothing that worked... so I suppose
that's where netscape got stuck as well, and where Microsoft's 'extensions'
came in.

I might be very wrong though, please correct me.

Ronald