Re: changing prefix without recompile

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Brian Kurotsuchi wrote:
> Will the following sequence of commands work correctly and change the
> destination dir:
>
> % cd <some GNOME source dir, like gtk+>
> % ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
> % make
> % make install
> % ./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome
> % make install
>
> The reason I ask is that I need to do installations to both places, but my
> machine is not too speedy, so recompiling everything hurts.
>
> I want to do this for all the packages past freetype (inclusive).  By that I
> mean guile, gtk+, imlib, gnome-code, gnome-libs, libxml...

Basically... no.  If you look at the options being sent to your compiler,
you'll notice lines that 'DEFINE' locations where things should be found.
Now how much each package does this, depends on the package.

If you want to just _install_ to another place, you modify your make install
command with something like:  make prefix=/opt/gnome install
...but this will not take compiled pathnames out of your binaries.

Mark Hankins