Re: mc 4.5.30 crashes X session

jg@pa.dec.com (Jim Gettys) writes:

> > From: Sri Ramkrishna <sri@aracnet.com>
> > Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 10:29:20 -0700 (PDT)
> > To: gnome-list@gnome.org
> > Subject: mc 4.5.30 crashes X session
> > -----
> > Before I file a bug report on this.  I am wondering if anybody else had
> > this problem.  If I move a desktop icon (say Home Directory), and it
> > causes my whole X session to crash.  Since I couldn't run gdb in a window
> > I ran it from console.  Here is the stack trace on it:
>
> Repeat after me:
>
> If your X server crashes, it is a bug in the X server.
> If your X server crashes, it is a bug in the X server.
> If your X server crashes, it is a bug in the X server.
>
> X servers aren't ever supposed to crash; regard them as you would
> the operating system.
>
> All your stack trace is showing is that the server crashed:
> that is what XIOError is telling you (as if you didn't know,
> by the fact that your whole session went down in flames).

Well, actually, in this case, I'm not sure it is the
server crashing. (Though it could be, especially if
you are using a Sun X server ;-)

Since typically the .xinitrc (or .xsession, etc.) has
as its last thing, 'exec gnome-session', if gnome-session
quits, it's going to cause xinit to kill the X server,
and (I think) that is going to cause all the clients
to XIOError.

Of course, gnome-session should never, ever, crash
either. But, it's a bit newer code than the X server
codebase, so...

Anyways, we do really, really, want to hear about things
that are causing gnome-session to crash.

Regards,
                                        Owen