Re: problem starting gnome-session from gdm

>>> Dans son message Pathbreaker a écrit:
 > >I just installed the last gnome packages on a PC running RedHat 5.2
 > >
 > >I can't start gnome-session from gdm.
 > >As it is writen in the FAQ, here is the .Xclients file :
 > >
 > >#!/bin/bash
 > >WINDOW_MANAGER=/usr/bin/enlightenment
 > >export WINDOW_MANAGER
 > >/usr/bin/panel &
 > >exec /usr/bin/gnome-session
 > >Unfortunately gnome-session doesn't start but only fvwm.
 > >
 > >But if I start X11 via startx with gnome-session in .xinitrc, everything is

 > >working fine.
 >
 > I have the exact same problem. My .Xclients file is
 > exec /usr/bin/gnome-session
 >
 > But this does not work. I read the /usr/doc/gdm/gdm-manual.txt file. It
 > mentions the sessions directory in /etc/X11/gdm. In the sessions directory
 > Defaults is a link to gnome. gnome contains the line
 > /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession gnome
 >
 > Still gdm always starts the fvwm window manager

I believe the problem comes from this "/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession gnome" launched
by in the Gnome file you mention.

The /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession script desn't have any Gnome label.

In this script, for an unknoen reason $HOME/.Xclients (same thing with
$HOME/.xsession) seems to be ignored and /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients starts.

This Xclients script tests $HOME/.wm_style which contains Fvwm95, so it
launches fvwm95 via /usr/bin/X11/RunWM (RunWM doesn't know enlightenment...).

So I put enlightenment in $HOME/.wm_style, but when gdm starts, .wm_style is
reinitialized with Fvwm95 :-(((

Well it seems xdm and/or gdm need to be updated.

* Gerard GACHELIN                   e-mail : gg@lirmm.fr *
* LIRMM (UMR 5506 CNRS/UMII)        MONTPELLIER (FRANCE) *
* WWW LIRMM Home Page               http://www.lirmm.fr/ *