Re: proper way to log out...

Move your old ~/.gnome* directories to .gnome*.old and restart X. You will
loose your old settings, but the session management should work.  Copy the
files you need (calendar appointments, etc.) from the old gnome dirs into the
new ones.  Make sure .Xclients is executable (chmod a+x ~/.Xclients).

Good luck.
Tim