proper way to log out...

Hi all,

Two gnome questions:

First, I'm having trouble logging out of Gnome...

When I use the Log off entry from the foot menu (or the log off applet
for that matter), my panel is killed, but my xterm remains alive. I can
still issue commands there. Currently I have to log out using
<CTRL><ALT><BSPACE> to kill the Xserver.

I start up gnome with the following .Xclients

#!/bin/bash
  panel&
  /usr/bin/enlightenment
##

Which brings me to my second problem:
I cannot use gnome-session in my .Xclients. Doing that brings me right
back to my login screen. The above sample works OK though.

I am not using GDM (I think; I get the penguin login screen)
I started from RedHat 5.1 and following is a list of currently installed
software which may be important:
esound-0.2.8-2
ORBit-0.4.0-1
gnome-audio-1.0.0-4