Re: RHAD Labs announces GNOME 1.0 RPMS for Red Hat Linux 5.2

>What I really want to know is why the gnome-core rpms have a
>dependency on the enlightenment Window Manager?  I cannot see any
>reason why. Gnome works fine with WindowMaker for me. It probably
>does with other WMs too.
>
>The reason I ask is that I think dependencies should not be made by
>the packagers preference of software unless there are some _real_
>reasons. As I installed starbuck yesterday on my home computer I was
>forced to install enlightenment to satisfy the dependency of the
>gnome-core. When I finally got all installed I had to do a rpm -e to
>remove enlightenment.

 I just compiled gnome from source without
freetype/fnlib/enlightenment, but I couldn't get gnome-session to
start with wm2. The panel plus wm2 worked fine, and I changed
"gnome-wm --sessionmanagerstuff" to "wm2" in
/usr/local/share/gnome/default.session and "WM=gnome-wm" to "WM=wm2"
in /usr/local/share/gnome/default.wm, but gnome-session wouldn't
start. (Btw my ~/.gnome/default.wm kept changing itself back to
"WM=xterm" - anyone know why?)

 I downloaded freetype, fnlib and enlightenment, compiled them,
recompiled gnome-core just to make sure, and gnome-session worked
fine (using e). I used enlightenment *once* to run the window manager
capplet and tell gnome-session to use wm2. The panel got an ugly
border around it until I restarted Gnome (wm2's shortcoming), but now
it works fine.

 I can understand enlightenment being made available on the Gnome site
because it's the only "officially Gnome-compliant" wm, but a lot of
people on the list seem to be using other window managers
(WindowMaker, icewm). Rather than having to download e and its
required libraries just to install Gnome, couldn't the wm capplet come
with several predefined entries for common window managers, and try
each of them in turn when gnome-session is started, or alternatively
allow the user to specify any one of them in default.session?

 I don't want to complain too much, e is a beautiful piece of work,
but it's not really required for Gnome so why have parts of Gnome
depending on it?

 - Michael Rogers