Re: duplicate gmc bug

I once had 5 different instances of gmc running..
If you looked in ~/gmc file, is started 5 distinct gmc..

Gnome was REALLY  slow  ;-)

The way they were started was by dragging gmc to the dock on window
maker
and set it to auto start..  ( I had to do this because I couldn't get
gmc to respawn after it crashed, so I had to force one to start..  )

gnome-session starts it's own , and the dock starts one..
Then when I exit X, gnome-session notes to start two next time..

repeat, and you have 3..

Ryan

Federico David Sacerdoti wrote:

> It was easy for me to start two gmc instances. The first was present at
> session startup. The second was created using the "file manager" option
> from the foot menu.
>
> When I start the second instance all the desktop icons "flash", it seems
> that they are being scanned again. Another gmc window opens, and then the
> behavior I mentioned happens.
>
> Also, after the two instances are running, I can see two gmc entries in
> the "Startup programs" gnomecc capplet. If the extra entries are deleted
> from the startup programs window, the problem is fixed.
>
> I know there is a check for two panels running at the same time, mabe
> there could be a similar check in gmc.
>
> Heres a bit about my system:
> locally compiled gnome-libs 108, gnome-core105, control-center105
> rpm installed gmc4.5.30,
> RH5.2 glibc2.0.x system, kernel2.2.5
>
> -FDS
>
> On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
>
> > >  Try this: open two copies of gmc. Not two just windows, but two
> > >  *instances*; gmc will let you do this. Then try making a rubber band on
> > >  the desktop. On my system, both gmcs will try to interpret the rubber
> > >  band, and it takes two mouse clicks to release it.
> >
> > How did you manage to run two gmc processes at the same time?
> >
> > The first gmc process sets up a CORBA server.  Subsequent invocations
> > of gmc contact the server, ask it to create a new window, and the
> > exit.
> >
> > I am very interested in this bug; please tell me how you can duplicate
> > it.
> >
> >   Federico
> >

> --

         Ryan Leduc         |    leduc@control.toronto.edu

   University of Toronto    |   'Any mans death diminishes me,
                            |    because I am involved in Mankind;
   Dept of Electrical and   |    And therefore never send to know
    Computer Engineering    |    for whom the bell tolls;
   Systems  Control Group   |
                            |    It tolls for thee.'

    Toronto, Ont, Canada    |         John Donne