Re: system seems slow, and graphics look bad.

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Andy Tai wrote:
> > Hi
> > 	I've got gnome with enlightenment installed on a redhat 5.2 system. I've
> > got an intel pentium at 200Mhz and 32 mb of ram. I'm runnning x in 16 bit
> > mode. The system seems to be slow. The background image seems very blurred.
> > (I tried various images). What should I do?
> >

> Enlightenment seems to be responsible for part of the slowness.  On a machine
> with 128 Mb of RAM, there is still a slowdown that the user can feel
> when using enlightenment with simple themes as compared to, say, using icewm
> (latest development version which supports GNOME).
> My own experience is that the GNOME desktop with the default gtk look/feel
> and icewm or flwm is as responsive as the default RedHat 5.2
> desktop using fvwm2.  When I switch the window manager to enlightenment,
> dragging windows and other operations are slower.    In both cases xosview
> shows no swapping.

The more pixmaps you are playing with, the slower things will go.  Both
Enlightenment and the pixmap engine for GTK+ encourage using lots of
pixmaps, but neither requires it.  I use Enlightenment with the "Clean"
theme on my AMD 5x86 machine (pre-pentium), and find that it runs faster
than FVWM or WindowMaker.  If you use a pixmap-heavy theme like
Trancendental Meditation, expect Enlightenment to go slower.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef