gnome-session won't start.

I'm running a FreeBDS 3.1 system with a gnome checked out from cvs this
weekend.  Everything compiled fine.  I add the line
exec gnome-session
to my .xinitrc (it's the only exec in there), and I type startx.

The grey-screen-with-x-cursor comes up and then everything dies leaveing
me with this message:

Unable to connect to UNIX socket /tmp/.esd/socket
_X11TransSocketOpen: socket() failed for local
_X11TransSocketOpenCOTSClient: Unable to open socket for local
_X11TransOpen: transport open failed for local/ryoga.fuzzfactor.com:0

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0

waiting for X server to shut down

I've tried specifying the --display as localhost:0.0 and other variants
and nothing helped.  I tried calling various gnome programs from a
virt-term command line.  nothing.  What am I missing?

  Josh Emmons...j-emmons@sjca.edu
``Set your laser-printers on stun''