Re: gnome getting very demanding ???

On 13 Apr 1999, Philippe Moutarlier wrote:
> I already posted a message concerning running gnome with no sound
> card as it becomes quite difficult to do, but now it looks like
> installing gnome-core rpm require to have also enlightenment ??.

I run GNOME with no sound card constantly, it works fine.  GNOME also
does not require Enlightenment.  The RPMs are designed with a specific
configuration in mind, which includes sound support and enlightenment,
but GNOME itself does not require it.

> Are we going toward a windows like type of "to run this you need to
> install internet explorer" ???

GNOME will never require Internet Explorer :-).  Seriously, though,
GNOME is pretty demanding about the libraries it needs to work, but it
is very flexible as to what programs you are using.  It requires
neither sound nor enlightenment.

> I am still very annoyed by this sound card pb. Everything is
> requiring esound to run and gnome-session won't even start if there
> is a pb with /dev/dsp.

The easiest way around this at the moment is to grab the tarballs and
compile GNOME without sound.  Check out
http://www.gnome.org/start/gnometar.shtml for more information.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef