Re: GNOME vs GNU gcc & glibc

Sergio Brandano wrote:

>  Hello Miguel,
>
>  I am really willing to sort out this matter, and I acknowledge for
>  the help you are giving.

> >>  ... it is empty.
The upcomming Slackware 4.0 Release will not have glibc2.  This is
however the laste libc5 based slackare release.  The next release will
be glibc 2.1 built.

Gnome is quite compatable with both Slackware 3.6 and Slackware
4.0beta.  In fact, I've created .tgz slackware packages for the 4.0 beta
release.  They're at

ftp://rasputin.linuxos.net/pub/slackware-packs/gnome

I've emailed the ftp maintainers of ftp.gnome.org and am awaiting a
response regarding these packages being put into the main gnome ftp.  I
havn't tested these on 3.6, but they should work provided you update
things like libgr.tgz and gimp.tgz from the slackware-current tree (to
get the necessary upgrades of libjpeg, libpng, gtk, glib, etc...)

The biggest problem I see most people having compiling it is they accept
the default PREFIX for things like glib and gtk which is /usr/local.
However, slacware installation of the gimp puts gtk/glib in /usr/X11R6
and you wind up having version conflicts, undefined references, and a
whole heapload of trouble.

-Brian