Help! E/Gnome system crash

After hours of trying to get the newer 1.0 version of gnome installed
w/E -0.15 I finally got it all installed. I edited my Xclients file to
start gnome using:

#!/bin/bash
   gnome-session
##

So with that done I typed startx and waited to see what happened. Well
to my surprise it worked. I was very happy to have it running. I went
right away to playing around with settings and changing the colors and
themes which I liked very much. I noticed two things that were happening
while doing this. Moving windows around was slow and when I went to the
dialogs option in the control-center the hard drive starting being
wildly accessed. This lasted for about 2-4 minutes and then stopped.
After that happened everything in E/Gnome became very slow and
impossible to deal with. I logged out at that point and restarted it.
Once restarted it behaved fine foe a while. So again I proceeded to
start playing with settings again. Only this time everything completely
locked up! I don't remember exactly what I was doing at the time since
it was late last night, but it killed the whole system. The only thing I
could do was restart the computer, as even trying to use Ctr+Alt+Delete
wouldn't work. I hit the reboot button and waited for it the boot linux.
Only it got half way through the boot and told me:

*** An error has occurred during the filesystem check.
*** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
*** When you leave the shell
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D for normal startup):

So know I have to figure out how to get the system working again. That
is where I am at now.

The other thing I found that seemed very strange to me is that when I
started win98 (located on the first partition (Linux is on second)) it
would only boot into safe mode. I have had to re-install win98 because
of this. Does that make any sense to anyone else? I can't figure it out.
I am really very new to Linux and learning a lot as I go, this one
really has me stumped. I am running Redhat 5.2 if that helps.

Thanks very much for any help,

Aaron

mailto:verdesoft@verdesoft.net
VerdeSoft Internet Services