Re: Install instructions?

In message <19990410142722.A12615@vorlon.babylon>, "Jesse D . Sightler"
writes:

[snip]

> Exactly, "rpm -i" ought to be the right way to do it, but still causes proble
>ms due to
> weaknesses in RPM.

What "weaknesses". I would like to know what they are.

> RPM should have some way of checking dependencies more strongly.  For example
>, instead of
> just knowing that Gimp 1.0 requires GTK 1.0 or greater, it ought to know that
> it requires
> a binary compatible version of gtk 1.0 or greater.  Since shared libraries on
>ly change major
> version number when binary compatibility is broken, this ought to be possible

You just nailed the problem with, at least, gtk. Gtk-1.0 is not compatible
with gtk-1.2. Gtk versioning is broken not rpm.

Bob

| Bob Taylor             Email: brtaylor@inreach.com            |
| Like the ad says, at 300 dpi you can tell she's wearing a     |
| swimsuit. At 600 dpi you can tell it's wet. At 1200 dpi you   |
| can tell it's painted on. I suppose at 2400 dpi you can tell  |
| if the paint is giving her a rash. (So says Joshua R. Poulson)|