Re: Is it just me, or is E (and gnome) SLOW!

Richard Hult wrote:

> >One thing I do know is that when I tried KDE I did not notice even 1/4
> >the sluggishness as with gnome and E.
> >
> >Has anyone noticed this problem?
>
> I'm running gnome + E on a Pentium 166 with 96 Mb... it's not even close to
> slow here... what kind of computer do you have?
>
> You could of course try another windowmanager, icewm for example.

I only have 48meg of RAM here, and things can get slow (P133) - running
lots of panel applets seems to take up quite a lot of memory on my
system...

And I personally wouldn't even try running a pixmap-based gtk theme
unless you have 64meg or more... Running default gtk+ theme or a small
engine like ThinIce or GTKstep yields nice results and seems to still
run fairly well...

hth.

--
Lee.