some small bugs

I've noticed a few bugs that I have just been dealing with for awhile
without saying anything. I never got around to reporting them because it
always seemed there was something worse going wrong :)

First off, I want to say that I am an RPM installer. I think that managing
and compiling big C projects is one of the most frustrating things that
can be done in the world today. I have formed this opinion both from
academic and industry experience with large software projects, and do not
undertake the task lightly. Because of this, I will pay the penalty for
getting slightly late code to get RPMS which let me see the GNOME system
and also lets me get some other work done.

When I stop b!tching about bugs and dig my fingers into some GNOME code,
*then* I will CVS and makefile as much as I need to because I will be
doing it for a constructive goal.

For now I am more than happy to sit on my RPMS.

Here are the bugs:
-Every once in awhile, usually after a long session with GNOME I will
experience a freeze when I try to logout. The interesting thing is that if
I click on the root window, the system unfreezes and returns me normally
to gdm. If I do not click the root menu, the system just sits there
Usually all the windows have been closed along with the panel, which
might point to a WM problem. An easily fixed situation, but a little
wierd.

-Sometimes gmc crashes when I hit the "X" button on the window. It happens
when there are 2 gmc windows open and one is shut, and it seems that it
occurs more often when one is generated from clicking a mountable device
icon.
I wish I could reproduce it better, but gmc is so hard to crash these
days...

-The last one is that I have noticed many times that gmc is not started on
a GNOME session login. Since it is responsible for the desktop icons, I
feel that it should always be invoked on a login, even if a gmc window
does not appear. In other words, at minimum the desktop icons should
appear at startup. Of course there should be a way to disable this, but
for unfamiliar users, having the desktop icons present is a reasonable
default.

-FDS

PS Ive given GNOME systems to two people who have never touched a command
line before, and they seem to be doing very well. Its mostly a Netscape,
Email, and StarOffice world out there, with some need for a file manager
when you want to save your paper to a floppy. Those are really the major
tasks.