Re: GNOME vs GNU gcc & glibc

Sergio,

I can understand the frustration. (God knows, I"ve experienced it enough
times) but unfortunately, a Free Software project is almost always a
living entity that constantly is evolving.  Take for example the Linux
kernel.  The stable tree, is still changing, 2.2.5 is out, and the next
day, 2.2.5ac2 is out.  So people who just downloaded the new kernel now
have to apply the patch and start all over.

GNOME is no different.  It's the job of the distribution to pick a moment
in time in which they feel that the GNOME desktop is usable.  At that
time, all dependencies will be taken care of.  You will not need to
download any of those support libraries because they will already be
there.[Caveat: If you are on a non-linux arch. there might still be some
headaches]

We haven't reached that stage yet.  But we will.  Once that happens,
installing GNOME will be snap, it will be as simple as downloading 3-4
RPMS and thats it or choosing an option in the configuration script of the
distribution of your choice. (if it's Linux)

In the meanwhile GNOME project will continue to evolve as new
technologies that the GNOME project finds useful are incorporated.

So right now, GNOME is gonna be painful.  Continue to send bug reports,
and observations, and the developers will do what they can.  Better yet,
contribute.  If you find something wrong, fix it, send the patches.

Thats my two cents.

	sri

Sri Ramkrishna         /|\ Unix is very user friendly, its just very picky
email: sri@aracnet.com -|- on who it is friendly to. -- Unknown?
phone: 503-356-1078    \|/