A few random anomolies

I'm a long time (for gnome) happy user, but there are a few problems that I have
that maybe someone could help me with. These may all be related or more likely
totally separate problems.

1. If I put "exec gnome-session" in my xinitrc file. Gnome will not start. I
use panel&/gmc&/exec enlightenment and all works well, but I don't have a clue
why or how to debug this.

2. This morning I took the unprecedented step of looking at the help browser. It
states that when the panel starts, you will see icons representing all your
mountable devices. I don't, and don't have a clue why not. Of course, until I
read that, I happily mounted my fd and cdrom in an xterm, but I wonder if this
indcates some deeper problem.

3. When I exit gnome/enlightenment, I notice several errors indicating that
libpixmap.so is not found. Should this have been part of gnome, or is this an
unrelated library? In either case, where might I find this library?

--
Bill Allen