"Lag" or mirrors

Hello,

* Nils Jeppe <nils@jeppe.de> writes:
> I am really getting a little tired about the fact that mirrors seem to lag
> behind ftp.gnome.org by several days, at best. jimpick.com seems to be the
> best mirror I found, but for example it still has gnumeric-0.19 - why is
> this so?
>
> I have heard that mirror sites do not get private ftp accounts, is this
> correct? If so, this should be changed. Top-notch up-to-date mirrors would
> take a lot of the load off ftp.gnome.org....

Indeed, this is annoying. It's senseless to tell people to use
mirrors if they lag behind that much. Ideally, one wouldn't even
need to care about mirrors if we had a system like CPAN has; but
unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be that much knowledge around
to set up such a thing. CTAN is soon going to adopt it, though.

Cheers,
  Colin

--
Colin Marquardt <colin.marquardt@gmx.de>