Sessions & E & gmc etc

Moi,

Is there any way to make Gnome 'just remember' how I've got things set
up, so I can quit X and come back and everything is pretty much the
way I left it? Realizing, of course, that this is not fully realizable
until XEmacs et al. is finally Gnomeified. :) At present, I have to
explain everything to Gnome, and windows don't show up where I left
them (especially GMC windows). It seems to me that session management
should require zero attention from the user (unless the user wants, of
course); otherwise, it's defeating its own purpose. What am I doing
wrong?

Thanks for the indulgence,

Torben