can't compile gnome-libs: dgettext

I just grabbed a freshly cvs'd copy of GNOME and tried to compile it on my
FreeBSD (3.1) box.  Things went more or less as expected until I tried to
compile the gnome-libs directory.  make got to libgnome and died, saying:

gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wno-unused -o .libs/gnome-dump-metadata -L/usr/local/lib
-lglib gnome-dump.o -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib .libs/libgnome.so
-L/usr/local/lib -lglib -lm -lz -lm -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
../support/.libs/libgnomesupport.so -lz -lm -L/usr/local/lib -lglib -lz
-lm
.libs/libgnome.so: undefined reference to `dgettext'
.libs/libgnome.so: undefined reference to `bindtextdomain'
gmake: *** [gnome-dump-metadata] Error 1

I have the newest gettext installed on my box, but am I right in thiniking
that dgettext is a macro anyway?  Why can't it find this macro (it's
included in gnome-i18n.h, right?  all the i18n headers are included as
far as I can tell)?

I'm getting a headach.  Anyone more knowledgable know what's going on?

--
Josh Emmons ... j-emmons@sjca.edu
``My universe isn't any smaller.''