Re: Feature idea

+++ Wed, Apr 07, 1999 at 07:08:44AM -0700 +++
Michael Rogers e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> >What I am talking about is a box, be it attached to the edge of the
> >screen or not, that always contains the menu bars and tool bars of
> >the application that has currently got focus.
> >
> >That means that the WM and the application as well as the process
> >handling the box would have to do a lot of hinting and IPC to ensure
> >that whenever I move my mouse over some other window, flap, bars are
> >torn off and relocated while others return to base.
>
> But surely the only way you could use the menu box is to move your
> mouse over it... and then the menu would disappear since your mouse
> wouldn't be over the other window any more. If you use the keyboard
> to navigate the menu it might as well be the menu in the current
> window rather than a copy of it. The menu box would only be useful if
> you were using "click-to-focus".

Of course the menu box would be treated specially by the window
manager (SKIP_FOCUS_ALWAYS). But you'd still have got to use sloppy
focus or click-to-focus, granted.

mawa
--
If a man is uneducated, he may steal a freight car.  If he has a
college education, he can steal the whole railroad!