Re: GNOME vs GNU gcc & glibc

In message <Pine.LNX.4.10.9904070556250.7591-100000@stute.jacobus.stevens-tech.
edu>, gandalf@pobox.com writes:
+-----
| I wonder if this has been seriously re-evaluated since 2.0 (the Changes
| file states that it is based on the 2.0 one)  I have compiled the kernel
+--->8

Yes, it has.  Often.

The kernel is just a bit more involved than your average user-space
application; compiler bugs tend to show up quickly (and fatally).  2.7.2.3 is
far from perfect, but quite a few reported "kernel bugs" magically go away
when built with 2.7.2.3 instead of 2.8.1 or egcs.

--
brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery@ece.cmu.edu