File Manager oddity

For some reason, File manager doesn't seem to handle plaintext files
according to the MIME configuration. In the MIME types capplet of the
control center, I set the Open, Edit, and View actions for the text/plain
type to "gedit %f". However, when I doubleclick on a plaintext file in the
file manager, it doesn't respond. If I right-click and select Open, View,
or Edit, it prompts me for a program to use. It does, if I select
properties, identify the file as text/plain. Is this a bug or am I doing
something wrong?

---
Geoffrey M. Romer
gromer@lick.pvt.k12.ca.us
http://www.lick.pvt.k12.ca.us/~gromer
---
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right"
                                                          -Salvor Hardin

"It's not the pot of gold, it's the rainbow I'm after!"
                                                          -Unknown

"I can't leave you alone with this man! He might be a tenor!"
                                                          -Fred Astaire