Re: GNOME vs GNU gcc & glibc

>Hello
>

>> 1. The compiler.
>>
>>    When using gcc-2.7.2.3 (that is the one recommended by Linus for
>>    the kernel), GNOME fails with gnome-objc-1.0.2. Spud suggested
>>    to install egcsobjc, that is to use egcs instead of gcc.

    After compiling gnome-objc, I went back and linked gcc to gcc-2.7.x.x,
instead of egcs. Everything else compiles fine.

>I had also this problem so....I didn't install gnome-objc and, believe
>me, It works well :)
>

>> 3. GNU gettext.
>>
>>    I want gettext. The following programs fail:
>>
>>       gnome-media-1.0.1
>>       gnome-network-1.0.1
>>       gnome-games-1.0.2
>>       gedit-0.5.1
>>       GXedit-1.22
>>       gnumeric-0.18
>>       gdm-1.0.0
>>       xchat-0.9.4
>>       go-0.1.35
>>       gnome-linuxconf-0.20
>>       gnome-chess-0.0.2
>>       balsa-0.4.9
>>
>>    All the errors are like this:
>>
>> >/sw/gnome/lib/libgnomeui.so: undefined reference to `dgettext'
>> >/sw/gnome/lib/libgnomeui.so: undefined reference to `gettext'
>> >/sw/gnome/lib/libgnome.so: undefined reference to `bindtextdomain'
>> >collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> >make[1]: *** [xchat] Error 1
>>
>>  Thank's for your help.
>>
>>  Sergio
>>

>When you will compile this programs, do :
>./configure --disable-nls
>make
>make install
>
>Normally, It'll work

    He said he does want gettext, which won't happen if you disable it. :) I
suggest using --with-included-gettext. I went through and compiled all
packages like this, and it worked fine.