Re: GNOME vs GNU gcc & glibc

>Portability has been one of GNOME's goals.  It compiles and runs on a
>variety of Unix-like systems.  So, we are definitely interested in
>hearing about failures, esp. on Linux, albeit on an "unsupported" libc.
>
>Can you send more details rather than a blanket statement "relative
>failure".  What exactly didn't compile?

 Yes, thank you.

 I use Slackware 3.6 on a Pentium-II, where I recompiled all the GNU
 stuff in a separate directory and removed the old one.

 I encountered three problems:

1. The compiler.

   When using gcc-2.7.2.3 (that is the one recommended by Linus for
   the kernel), GNOME fails with gnome-objc-1.0.2. Spud suggested
   to install egcsobjc, that is to use egcs instead of gcc.

   I also observe that GNOME is an GNU project, and the last GNU
   compiler is gcc-2.8.1.

   I am now using egcs-1.0.3.

   egcs-1.1.1 failed to compile. I erased it, so I do not have the
   errors. I can recompile it and report them, if needed.

2. The libraries.

   GNU glibc-2.1 does not compile using gcc. Since GNU wants gcc,
   the glibc-2.1 libraries are not anymore on-line
   (see ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/glibc/glibc-2.1-README).

   I am using libc 5.4.46 plus linux-threads.
   I managed to compile glibc-2.1 with my egcs; I did not installed it
   because the tests (posix/test) failed. I erased this too, so I do
   not have the errors. I can recompile it and report them, if needed.

3. GNU gettext.

   I want gettext. The following programs fail:

      gnome-media-1.0.1
      gnome-network-1.0.1
      gnome-games-1.0.2
      gedit-0.5.1
      GXedit-1.22
      gnumeric-0.18
      gdm-1.0.0
      xchat-0.9.4
      go-0.1.35
      gnome-linuxconf-0.20
      gnome-chess-0.0.2
      balsa-0.4.9

   All the errors are like this:

>/sw/gnome/lib/libgnomeui.so: undefined reference to `dgettext'
>/sw/gnome/lib/libgnomeui.so: undefined reference to `gettext'
>/sw/gnome/lib/libgnome.so: undefined reference to `bindtextdomain'
>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>make[1]: *** [xchat] Error 1

 Thank's for your help.

 Sergio