Re: GNOME vs GNU gcc & glibc

Sergio Brandano <sb@dcs.qmw.ac.uk> writes:
>  After several attempts to install GNOME from source, and relative
>  failures, I end out with the following question:
>
>  What is the need for GNOME to use glibc-2.1 and egcs?
>
>  Would't it be a lot easier for everybody to use the old good
>  lib5 (plus linux-threads) and gcc-2.7.2.3?

Portability has been one of GNOME's goals.  It compiles and runs on a
variety of Unix-like systems.  So, we are definitely interested in
hearing about failures, esp. on Linux, albeit on an "unsupported" libc.

Can you send more details rather than a blanket statement "relative
failure".  What exactly didn't compile?

- Hari