Re: esd just won't let me play games

On Mon, Apr 05, 1999 at 12:40:05PM -0600, Smith, Nathan A., Capt. SMC/TEL wrote:
> 1.  How do I get games to work with esd?

esddsp <program>

This may not work for some games for techinical reasons, so then you
try...

> 2.  If that is not possible, what is the proper way to get the /dev/dsp
> device released?

esdctl off

Turns esd control of /dev/dsp off.

esdctl on

Turns esd control of /dev/dsp back on.

> 3.  How can I confirm that the device is released?  I have seen a command
> that tells what program is using a device, but I have lost that information
> somewhere.

fuser /dev/dsp

Should tell you what users are using files...I dunno if that's what
you're looking for.

> 4.  I have been using the sound-applet (nice applet), it though has trouble
> restarting esd after I have 'suspended esd'.  (I question if esd is
> suspended as the /dev/dsp device is never released)

I don't know.

--
Ian Peters		"The farther you go, the less you know."
itp@gnu.org				-- Lao Tsu, "Tao Te Ching"